Incorporated in 1959, Riverwoods is the home of major employers including Commerce Clearing House and Morgan Stanley Dean Witter.
- The village does not have its own recreation department, but has access to neighboring Deerfield recreation services. There is a non resident fee for each program. The Riverwoods Wildlife Preserve and Ryerson Conservation area serve the community.
- Four elementary school districts and two high school districts serve Riverwoods. Most of the Village lies within Deerfield Elementary District #109, which has an enrollment of 2,880 students, and Township High School District #113, which has an enrollment of 2,847 students as two schools: Deerfield and Stevenson High Schools. There are several parochial and private schools in the surrounding communities. View a list of schools.
- Homes within Riverwoods include custom built, rustic, contemporary, and ranches. The 2000 median house value was $522,200 and the median rent cost was $639. (U.S. Census Bureau, 2000)
- Government Services
- Fire protection is provided by the Vernon Township, Lincolnshire-Riverwoods, and Deerfield-Bannockburn Fire Protection Districts. Riverwoods has its own police department.
- Situated at Deerfield Road between State Rte. 21 and Interstate 94, there is easy access to Chicago and O'Hare Airport. Rail service to Chicago via Metra is available in nearby Deerfield.
Distance to Chicago Loop: 27 miles
Distance to O'Hare Airport: 20 miles
Commuter Travel Resources
Here is a listing of transportation websites to help you better commute by car or transit. Please travel safely!
- The Regional Transportation Agency (RTA) provides a commuter trip planner to provide commuters with information on which buses or trains to take.
- www.pacebus.com and www.pacerideshare.com
- Pace Suburban Bus provides route, schedule and fare information on suburban bus service. Information is also available for all of the Shuttle Bug routes that provide connecting service between Metra stations and area employers. Web Watch can provide commuters real time travel information on buses.
- Metra is one of the nation's premier commuter rail systems. Its web site provides information on fares, schedules, stations, connecting services and tickets. Take Metra commuter trains to access Shuttle Bug service and avoid winter driving hassles. With about a 98% on-time performance rating, Metra provides a reliable, safe and economical alternative to driving. Get service updates via email and buy your ticket online with a credit card.
- The Chicago Transit Authority provides bus and El service in Chicago and nearby suburbs. Its web site provides routes, schedules, fares and connections as well as information on Chicago Card/Plus.
- PASSAGE is an Intelligent Transportation System designed to provide motorists real time traffic congestion information due to crashes and construction events. These events are communicated through the police department's Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system that is sent directly to the Transportation Management Center (TMC), then communicated back to highway users via www.lakecountypassage.com, PASSAGE Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 1620 AM, and variable message signs.
- Travel Midwest is a voluntary organization with active member participation from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, the Illinois Department of Transportation, the Indiana Department of Transportation, the Michigan Department of Transportation, the Illinois Tollway, the Skyway Concession Company LLC, and the Indiana Toll Road Concession Company LLC. The goal is to focus on operations within the region to ensure that traffic moves safely and efficiently. This goal is realized by interagency communication and coordination, improvement projects, training efforts, and region-wide planning.
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation supports all forms of transportation. The department is responsible for planning, building and maintaining Wisconsin's network of state highways and Interstate highway system.
- The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) has responsibility for planning, constructing and maintaining of Illinois' extensive transportation network, which encompasses, highways and bridges, airports, public transit, rail freight and rail passenger systems.
Prepared by TMA of Lake Cook. For further information visit www.tmalakecook.org